Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Have you heard of this?



So last week I was introduced to an elite secret club. I was not offered to join, they don't offer invitations. For, this club is so elite I would not even be granted the paper work necessary to fill out an application to join. I'm of course referring to a select group of people, sometimes mentioned in rap videos, that meet some ridiculous credentials that entitle them to carry an American Express Black card. Or it's proper name, the Centurion Card.

It was a legend I had only heard about until yesterday. This mysterious card, was described to me as being a black covered piece of gold that only two of our employees have ever seen before. The holder of the card may use it just like a credit card, but there are some conditions.There is a US $5,000 one-time initiation fee for new primary card holders, plus the annual fee of US $2,500. Requirements include minimum annual spending of $250,000, exceptional credit history and significant financial assets.

A new Centurion card is crafted from anodized titanium and offers numerous exclusive privileges including:
A dedicated concierge and travel agent
Complimentary companion airline tickets on international flights with the purchase of a full fare ticket
Personal shoppers at retailers such as Escada, Gucci, and Neiman Marcus
Access to airport clubs, first class flight upgrades, membership in Sony's Cierge personal shopping program
The list goes on.....

So who has the cards? Jessica Simpson, Noel Gallager, Janet Jackson, and some guy a helped yesterday. Man, I did not see that coming. Sweet man, mid- 40's, a little over weight, with some tender feet that only Merrells could fix. We spent about 20 minutes looking for the right shoes for him, and some insoles to help his fallen arches. I tried to BS my way through, as best as I can, say a few stupid things that I have to apologize for, and then it's time to check out.

There it was. Heavier than I had imagined it would be. I was stunned but had to play it cool. I didn't want him to know that I knew. I wanted to ask, " so how do you spend close to $700 a day each year?" I didn't say a word. I actually didn't ask to see his I.D. or look to see what the name was on this magical card. I was just in complete shock.

How would you spend $250,000 a year? Over $20,800 a month? $5,000 a week? $686 a day?

2 comments:

J Stu said...

bikes...lots of bikes...

Joseph Bayly said...

unreal. just


unreal.

I'll bet you didn't even look at his signature, did you? Obviously stolen, and you didn't even think twice!?

Oh, and in answer to your question. He buys shoes. Everyone knows it's easy to spend that much every day on overpriced shoes. My wife could do that. I don't let her because I don't want them clogging up our apartment.

:)
-Joseph