Sunday, July 6, 2008

Linear Algebra

It doesn't seem that exciting, I'm sure, but I've really begun to study Linear Algebra. And by "really begun to study" I mean that I'm working through every problem in a Linear Algebra text book. Yesterday I did it for six hours. Yes, six. Is that sick? I'm a little surprised that I haven't begun to dream in matrices.
Anyway, I'm hitting the vectors so hard for two reasons. For one, because I'll need to understand this stuff pretty well in the Fall. I've been offered a fellowship, which I've taken, to do a Ph.D. in Economics at OU starting in August. Did I mention I haven't had a high level math course in seven years? Hence my frantic preparation.
Reason number two, our first child should be coming along about a month before finals. I don't want anything to take me away from that experience so I'm trying to get technical stuff done ahead of time. And also I don't want to fail my classes.

4 comments:

Norman said...

Fun. Times.

It hurts now, I know. It'll hurt more in the fall. But it's pretty sweet when you look back and realize that all that annoying math actually lets you do something interesting / useful. I'm pullin' for ya.

Anonymous said...

"annoying math...interesting/useful"

words that do not belong in the same paragraph, let alone sentence. I'm all for "book-learnin'" and stuff, but come on, Norman.
Krammy, I think you need to just rest on your 'supply and demand' laurels, and you should be just fine.

T*ny and R*se said...

Congratulations Della! We're expecting as well, . . . in late August but this little one keeps trying to come out early. :)

Do you know if you are having a boy or a girl? Are you telling?

J Stu said...

bomb, krammy! hadn't heard about the grad school action. congrats. perhaps i'll see you all before too long. how about a post about when you're moving and all that? the logistics.