Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Dressing Up

Some readers of this blog may not know that for eight years of my life I wore the same outfit every day- blue jeans and a white t-shirt. In the last three years I've changed that habit and taken to wearing free shirts (if they're funny) and whatever sort of pants I get.

Della and I reflected on the psychological effect of our clothing as we drifted to sleep last night. I wonder how much my current dress affects the way I see myself and how I interact with the world? I know that I'm very different in a lot of ways than I was then, but how much of that is attributable to my attire? Certainly not all of it, but some of it I'm sure.

I think my initial over-reaction to fashion was to this aspect of clothing- a rebellion against the mere imagery that clothing represented. A well dressed man can still be a scoundrel, and a geeky guy can still be really fun. So, clothing must be false right? At least that's how I thought about it freshman year of high school. Now I think I'm just trying to be normal and approachable. The problem is that I don't think I'm really all that normal and when I dress with intentionality, I feel like I'm acting a role in a play, like I'm playing dress up. There a loss of sincerity there that really makes me miss my white t-shirts.

Just some thoughts. Have you thought about this, too?

1 comment:

OneoftheServens said...

I have some shirts I can give you.