Wednesday, February 6, 2008

powerless

I haven't hid in a closet since I was a little kid. Closets seemed so much bigger back then. Big enough for two even, and a dog. That's not the case any more.

Della, Georgia and I had to squeeze into our hall closet last night during a tornado warning. While we were crouched/squished in there the power went out and has been out since. I'm writing this from school.

All in all, though, I enjoyed having the power out. It gave us a chance to notice the green lightning after the storm passed by. I felt so stress free. No tv. No internet. No outside world. Just me my wife and my dog.

Strangely, that made me feel more connected to the outside world. The physical world felt more real once I was disconnected to the electronic one. Maybe Marshall McLuhan would say that this was the passing of the numbness brought on by the illusion of the world in media.

1 comment:

keely said...

I feel like such a jerk. I thought to call you guys after I heard about the storms and make sure you guys were safe and still alive and all. I'm glad to hear that you are.